I had a hard time coming up with a name for this recipe, so I decided that a good description would be the best way to go. And this salad is seriously yummy.
You might ask – what is Quinoa? Actually, that’s exactly what I asked about 6 months ago. Since that time, however, quinoa has become a staple in our diet and I love it.
Quinoa is considered a whole grain, but it is actually a seed. It’s prepared like rice and can be used in a similar way. It’s super versatile – can be eaten alone with a little seasoning or can be added into recipes.
Quinoa also has some wonderful benefits – it takes less time to cook than other whole grains. Quinoa tastes great on its own – add a bit of olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice and – yum! And of all the whole grains, quinoa has the highest protein content. Quinoa provides all 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Quinoa is a gluten-free and cholesterol-free whole grain, is kosher, and is almost always organic. (Source: About.com)
With olive oil, avocado & feta cheese – this recipe has a rich taste and texture. But the sweet tomatoes add a nice contrast. I like to serve this with pan seared chicken or fish. We hope you’ll enjoy this recipe as much as our family does.
Seriously Yummy Quinoa Salad Ingredients:
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 1/2 cup uncooked yields 3 cups cooked – I cook quinoa in my rice cooker on the white rice setting)
- 1 cup packed full – fresh spinach (I actually just grab a big handfull of fresh spinach from the container we always have in our fridge and use that amount. I’m assuming it’s about 1 cup.)
- 1/2 – 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 pkg Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 2 – 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- Approx 1 tsp Greek Seasoning (I like Cavender’s)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions OR cook in your rice cooker. (I always cook quinoa in my rice cooker on the white rice setting – one cup quinoa to two cups water.)
- Place cooked quinoa in a large mixing bowl
- Chop the fresh spinach – roughly chop the spinach so that you end up with medium sized pieces.
- Add chopped fresh spinach & diced fresh tomatoes to the quinoa.
- Peel the avocado and remove the pit. Dice avocado & add to the quinoa mixture.
- Add crumbled feta.
- Sprinkle Greek Seasoning over mixture.
- Add olive oil.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the mixture.
Mix all ingredients well & serve!
I got the idea for this recipe from a Better Homes & Gardens recipe – modifying it to our taste.